Functional pottery made in Wisconsin

Functional pottery made in Wisconsin

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter observations


As I sit recovering from knee surgery I often work at the computer in the sunroom. This is a 1920's era house with an eastern facing room mostly composed of big windows. From the comfort of my house I get to watch the world go by. Lately we have 2 to 3 Pileated woodpeckers feeding off a big suet bag. I remember the first time I saw one of these big (17") almost prehistoric looking guys beating the daylights out of one of my dead trees. That was in the mid 1980's, when I lived east of Wausau. Now further north in the Saint Germain area we hear and see the big guys alot more. Their beauty and strange grace is wonderful to see.

Unfortunately Barry never did make it down to the craft show, on the way thru Woodruff the old van started steaming and making alot of noise (great) so we pulled off at the Brandy Lake BP to check it out. Now it was about -15 last Friday morning, and I had to get to the clinic for my surgery. While Barry popped the hood on the van, I went into the gas station to beg a ride from anyone willing to help. I found a good angel (thanks again Larry, where ever you are) and grabbed my crutches and waved goodbye to Barry. Don't label me heartless, but only one of us needs to stand around waiting for a tow. I was just glad if we had to have problems it wasn't out on the highway with nothing near.

Long story made short, Barry was towed back to a reliable repair place, although the van didn't get finished until Monday. I had a safe surgery and Nancy picked me up and didn't have to stay since Barry was at home waiting. What next?

After all that excitement it was good to just ice the knee and watch the bunnies, the birds and the snow fall outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment